Residents are being called on to back a campaign asking for immediate action over tumble dryers linked to 750 domestic fires, including the huge blaze in Shepherd’s Bush last year.

Hammersmith and Fulham Council want people to sign a Which? petition following the fire in Charecroft Estate, which firefighters have confirmed was caused by a faulty Indesit dryer awaiting repair.

Whirlpool, which owns Indesit, is advising that the machines are safe as long as not left unattended .

However, the London Fire Brigade disagree , and urge anyone with a machine subject to recall to unplug the appliance and not use it until repaired.

Video thumbnail, Shepherds Bush fire trapped people
Video Loading

Debbie Defreitas was at her seventh floor Shepherds Court flat when her tumble dryer caught alight on August 19, and was unable to stop the flames spreading and engulfing five stories of the 18-floor tower block.

Consumer watchdog Which? has accused Whirlpool of dragging its heels in dealing with the problem, and its petition calls for quicker action.

Cllr Sue Fennimore, lead member for social inclusion at Hammersmith and Fulham Council, said: “It is scandalous that people’s lives are being put at risk in this way, and Whirlpool really should be upping its game to stop further fires from happening.”

Video thumbnail, LFB Watch Manager on the Shepherd's Bush tower block fire
Video Loading

The fire resulted in 26 homes being evacuated and 20 families moved into temporary accommodation, with some affected launching legal proceedings against Whirlpool .

Cllr Fennimore continued: “If a product could cause a risk to life, in this way, then it should be promptly dealt with by the manufacturers.

“I have signed the Which? petition calling for Whirlpool to get its act together, and I would urge others to do the same.”

The safety notice issued by Whirlpool identified a potential concern with two types of tumble dryer manufactured between April 2004 and September 2015.

The affected brands are Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda, Proline and Swan.

The aftermath of a fire which is believed to have been caused by a tumble dryer

Speaking in September last year, Alex Neill, managing director of home and legal services, for Which? He said: “Almost a year on, there are still millions of potentially dangerous tumble dryers in people’s homes.

“London Fire Brigade’s investigation into the Shepherd’s Bush fire highlights the urgent need for the government to review the Whirlpool case and set out how it is going to improve safety for affected customers.”

More than 100 firefighters spent hours at the tower block bringing the flames under control amid fears residents were trapped in the flames, but no one was seriously injured.

Video thumbnail, Shepherd's Bush flat fire
Video Loading

So far 65,000 people have signed the Which? petition. Click here to add your name.

Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.

You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.

Available to download from the App Store or Google Play for Android now!