news

Burglar Darren February convicted of Simon Cowell £1million jewellery theft

Darren February broke into the X Factor supremo's Holland Park home, and 10 days later in a separate incident killed a dad while behind the wheel of a car

A serial burglar has been found guilty of breaking into the Holland Park home of Simon Cowell and stealing jewellery worth around £1 million.

Prolific criminal Darren February was found guilty on Monday (February 27) following a trial at Isleworth Crown Court.

The 33-year-old is currently in prison serving an eight-and-a-half year sentence for killing 52-year-old father and motorcyclist Kenneth Baldwin, also in Holland Park , in an incident which occurred 10 days after jewellery raid.

February broke into the home of The X Factor supremo’s home on December 4 2015 through a patio door and stole jewellery and two passports.

Cowell was at home with his partner and their child at the time.

UPDATED: Simon Cowell in 'constant fear' as burglar sentenced to eight years in jail for £1million Holland Park jewellery raid 

X-Factor judge Simon Cowell

 

CCTV footage (see video above) would later capture him outside the premises a short while afterwards.

During the hearing the court was told February had dozens of convictions for burglaries, and targeted wealthy homes around the Holland park area.

Just 10 days after the break-in, in the early hours of December 14, 2015 February was recklessly driving his ex-girlfriend’s Vauxhall Astra on St Ann’s Road when he crashed into and killed Mr Baldwin .

 

CCTV footage afterwards showed him casually talking on the phone and trying to remove evidence linking him to the vehicle in the aftermath of the collision before driving off.

He had been driving at speeds approaching 60mph when he hit Mr Baldwin’s Honda ST 1100 head-on.

February, who gave his address during that case as Octavia House in North Kensington, admitted causing death by dangerous driving and causing death while driving uninsured.

February was captured outside Mr Cowell's home shortly after the burglary

Speaking after the jewellery raid verdict today, Detective Sergeant James Howarth, investigating officer, said: “Darren February is a danger to society with numerous convictions under his belt.

"It must have been terrifying for the occupants to imagine someone was inside their home while they slept, particularly with a young child in the house.

“I’d like to commend my colleagues for their excellent skills in recognising February and also the forensic scientist and prosecuting counsel who acted so ably in this case.

"The local security guard should also be highly praised for his actions that night.”

 

Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.

You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.

Available to download from the App Store or Google Play for Android now!

View full mobile page