Residents have spoken to getwestlondon about the problems they have faced when neighbours have their basements extended.

Their comments come as a councillor from Hammersmith and Fulham called for more to be done to prevent disruption to the community.

Former Tory council leader Nicholas Botterill said that he wants to see the implementation of “more restrictions on noisy and disruptive operations,” as basement constructions continue to encroach on residents.

He also raised fears of the possible damage caused to neighbouring properties from the work, adding: “The houses next door that rely on minimal Victorian foundations can end up with resulting cracks and defects.”

Cllr Nicholas Botterill want more protection despite in H&F regulations on basement developments

His calls come despite H&F giving more protection from construction noise to residents in August this year.

One Munster Road resident, who did not wish to be named, complained about the constant noise during a neighbour’s development.

“They are just too loud," they said. "The first few months were hell and they continue to work everyday from 8am to 6pm, including Saturdays.

“The residents are friendly. It’s just annoying, people need to just move out and get a bigger house.

A H&F councillor is calling for more to be done to protect neighbours from basement developments

“There are lots of basements being built around here over the last few years there have been maybe six down St Dionis Road [opposite] alone. People need to move out and get a bigger house.”

Stacey White, 37, had similar problems. She also lives on Munster Road and said: “The development next door took two years to do.

“They took nine months just to dig out the basement. It was a nightmare.

Basement expansion neighbours speak of woes as former leader calls for more protection

“They started at 8am between Monday and Friday and at 9am on a Saturday. It was so dusty and noisy.”

Figures released by the London Mayor Sadiq Khan during his campaign earlier this year revealed that applications for basement constructions in Hammersmith and Fulham had more than doubled between 2010 and 2015 . The borough topping the list for planning applications across the 12 inner-London boroughs.

The new measure, which the council hope to adopt next year, will require all new developments, particularly basement extensions and demolition works, to comply with stricter policies on noise and vibration, or risk being refused planning permission.

A basement extension in Hammersmith and Fulham

“This administration is committed to supporting new housing space in the borough, but also ensuring that local residents can get the peace and quiet they deserve,” said Cllr Andrew Jones, had of economic development and regeneration.

“These robust policies would ensure that there are proper measures in place to protect residents in buildings close to a construction sites from excess noise and other disturbances.”

Earlier this year Queen guitarist Brian May said he would move from Kensington and Chelsea after a spate of basement developments had made his life “a living hell”.