Housing developers have been allowed to reduce the number of affordable homes they build in a move by Mayor Sadiq Khan which has seen fierce opposition.
In a new deal, private housebuilders will need 35% of the homes to be affordable housing, rather than the 50% pledged by Khan previously.
The new threshold was announced on Tuesday (November 29) in a new housing strategy came under scrutiny after City Hall Conservatives accused the Mayor of "ratting on what he said during the election".
However, the Labour Mayor has strongly denied he has done a U-turn and said planned to "move towards a long-term strategic goal" of half of new homes being genuinely affordable.
Speaking of the capital's housing crisis, he said "fixing [it] will be a marathon not a sprint".
He also stressed the importance of granting £3.1 billion of the money Chancellor Philip Hammond will give to City Hall towards the cause, enough to fund 90,000 new affordable homes.
"London is in the midst of a housing crisis, with thousands of Londoners priced out of a city they call home" said Khan.
"These announcements today demonstrate real progress on the long road towards fixing London’s housing crisis."
London's Mayor had formerly admitted during a Mayors Question Time meeting that he "cannot set a target" on affordable target but is making it his priority .
Watch Khan explain how he will tackle housing crisis
- Prama interactive fitness class launches in London4:28
- Mark Ritson and Tom Moore review Brentford's 3-1 3:46
- Woking Goldsworth Road police incident package0:35
- The Pink Floyd Exhibition: Their Mortal Remains t0:22
- QPR fan's preferred starting XI0:36
- Take a look inside The Chelsea Ram0:49
- Works are underway at the old RAF Uxbridge site0:30
Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.
You can even set it to receive push notifications for all the breaking news in your area.