FIREFIGHTERS tackled a rubbish blaze out-side a church hall in Croxley Green on Saturday morning.
Two fire engines, including one from Rickmansworth, were called to All Saints Church, in The Green, at 8.17am.
A hose reel was used to extinguish the fire, which is believed to have been accidental.
About 10 people were at the scene, but no one was injured.
But Reverend Mary Kingsley, assistant curate at the church, suspects the blaze was sparked by vandals.
"I suppose the fire could have been started by a fag end but I think that is a little bit unlikely - it's not often you hear about rubbish bins catching fire by accident first thing in the morning," she said.
"There has been a small amount of damage to the roof, but luckily nothing major, and hopefully we will be able to claim for it on the insurance. However, it could have been a lot worse had it not been for a passer-by who alerted the vicar.
"The church hall is crucial for the community. A mother and toddler group meets there twice a week and the brownies and guides meet there once a week. It is also used for meetings and social gatherings.
"It is both surprising and disappointing that this has happened and it is not something we have experienced before.
"We are very relieved and grateful that no one got hurt." :