SERVICES across Hounslow could grind to a halt this summer with the possibility of THREE separate strikes.
Everything from social care to library services would be disrupted, union leaders warned this week, as Civic Centre morale plunges to a new low.
Unison leaders at CIP, which manages leisure services for Hounslow Council, voted unanimously last Tuesday to ballot members over a two-day walkout.
Council staff belonging to the trade union have already agreed to vote on industrial action, with a possibility the strikes will be co-ordinated.
And insiders claimed this week that rubbish collectors are also considering strike action over plans to privatise the service.
Hounslow Council's Tory administration last month froze council tax for the second year running.
But it has angered staff by paying consultancy firm KPMG £3.8million to identify 'efficiency savings' and announcing plans to axe 300 jobs - nearly a tenth of total staff numbers.
Richard Lugg, shop steward at the council, said the Civic Centre had been reduced to 'a state of complete chaos and demoralisation'.
"East Sussex County Council brought in KPMG to cut more than 100 jobs last year and when I looked at their website last week they had 69 full-time vacancies, because these are roles that need to be filled," he added.
About 2,000 of Hounslow Council's 3,200 staff belong to Unison, according to Mr Lugg.
More than half of CIP's workforce - who face an uncertain future after the council decided to terminate the group's contract - are also members.
Unison spokeswoman Harj Dhaliwal described the scale of potential job losses as 'overwhelming'.
She added that it was likely to be another two months before members are balloted over strike action.
It is just over twoyears since the last full council strike, when more than 3,000 staff joined picket lines across the borough as part of national action over pensions.
A council spokeswoman confirmed the contract with its Environmental Direct Services department, which manages waste collection and recycling, would not be renewed this summer.
She said the council was in the 'final stages' of appointing a private contractor to take over the service later this year.
"We are confident this process will result in improved waste and recycling services for everyone in the borough," she added.