THE FIRE Brigade's Union (FBU) have announced that they will strike for four hours next week.
London Fire Brigade chiefs have said that they are ready and prepared to respond with a contingency level of fire and rescue service during the industrial action which will take place between noon and 4pm on Wednesday, September 25.
This will be the first firefighter strike on a national scale in over a decade, stemming from a dispute between the FBU and government over the government’s reforms to the Firefighters’ Pension Scheme.
London Fire Commissioner Ron Dobson said: “It is very unfortunate that we are in another period of industrial action, but we are prepared and our contingency fire service is ready to operate on the strike date which has been announced.
"Last month we temporarily removed 27 fire engines from stations across London. These will now be used by contingency crews to provide a level of fire cover for the capital.
“During a strike, our advice to the public is to take extra care to prevent fires from starting. Simple steps such as keeping a really close eye on cooking and making sure cigarettes are disposed of properly can make all the difference.”