Neighbours of a notorious Hounslow dumping site in Salisbury Road are claiming victory after deadly asbestos and abandoned cars were finally cleared.
The pot-holed wasteland surrounding shops in Salisbury Road has long been a bugbear for residents but the situation had become even worse in recent months.
Council officers found tyres and burned-out vehicles piled up alongside domestic rubbish in the area behind the shops when they visited on October 10.
Having unsuccessfully tried to contact owner Jas Dhami several times, they issued him with a section 59 notice under the Environmental Prosecution Act 1990 at the end of the month.
The order, which gave him 21 days to clear the site of all waste or face legal action, seemed to do the trick and the area was soon transformed.
It is not the first time Mr Dhami has fallen foul of Hounslow Council's rubbish regulations.
The businessman was successfully prosecuted for 'waste accumulation' in 2003, when he was ordered to pay £8,000.
Deputy council leader Mark Bowen said he was glad the land had been cleared but urged Mr Dhami to show more consideration to neighbouring residents in future.
"The condition of this site was completely unacceptable but the officers involved have done a good job of intervening to get it cleared," he added.
However, the clean-up is unlikely to satisfy those who have spent years campaigning for something to be done about the pot-holed car park and dangerous, unfilled foundation trenches.
Alf Chandler, of nearby Beavers Lane, has lobbied for action alongside Rev Ken Buckler, of the Church of the Good Shepherd, and chose the site as the one thing he would change about Hounslow.
"It really brings down the area, despite all the recent improvements in surrounding streets," he said during a recent interview with the Chronicle.
The site is the subject of a bitter planning row stretching back nearly a decade, during which time many shops have closed.
Work began three years ago on a function hall but the building was never completed due to a disagreement between Mr Dhami and planning officers over how much he owed the council.
A council spokesman confirmed it had not received a new planning application but was unable to say whether the dispute was any closer to being solved.
Mr Dhami was unavailable for comment.