ROYAL Parks minister Margaret Hodge has said she expects to make a decision about parking charges in Richmond and Bushy parks in the new year.
Council leaders from Richmond, Kingston and Wandsworth met with Ms Hodge at the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, on October 29, to urge her to turn down the plans proposed by Royal Parks.
Eighty four per cent of people who responded to a consultation carried out by Royal Parks earlier this year opposed the charges.
It was confirmed that before a final decision is made, Royal Parks will carry out a survey of drivers using the carparks to find out who uses them and where motorists travel from.
She also promised to join the three councils at a meeting with Transport for London to discuss improved bus links to the parks.
Kingston Council leader Derek Osbourne said: "We told the minister of our concerns about the way this consultation has been run. There's been too little information on who would be affected by the charges and not enough recognition of the public transport problems.
"We know the RPA needs the money but they can't race ahead without properly considering all the consequences for park users and local residents.
"Richmond Park is a unique resource for south west London. It would be quite wrong if young families and older people, who have no choice but to travel by car, were deterred from visiting the park."