HER Majesty The Queen was joined by the Duke of Edinburgh and the Duchess of Cambridge on a visit to Baker Street tube station today to celebrate 150 years of the London Underground.
The royal party met with station staff and train operators as well as representatives of the Railway Children charity.
Baker Street station is part of the original underground network which started operating in January 1863 between Farringdon and Paddington stations.
The Queen was given a glimpse into the service's past, viewing the Metropolitan Railway Jubilee Carriage No 353 which was built in 1892 and is the oldest train carriage in operation on the underground.
Mike Brown, managing director of London Underground & London Rail, said: "Today's visit was a huge privilege, helping us mark the 150th anniversary of London Underground as well as recognising some of the staff who work tirelessly to keep London moving. It not only acknowledged our illustrious past but also the need to look to the future. We are continually improving the network and our passengers are seeing the benefits including more frequent and reliable services on the Jubilee and Victoria lines.
"The key to continuing this success, and supporting the economy of London and the UK, is sustained investment to enable us to provide a network fit for the next 150 years."
The Queen was then shown one of the latest walk through air conditioned S-Stock Tube trains, and was invited to unveil a plaque naming the train Queen Elizabeth II.
These new models, which are to be introduced to 40 per cent of the underground network, are already operating on the Metropolitan Line and are soon to run on the Hammersmith & City and the Circle and District line.