MAYBE it was unwise for the trustees of St Helen's School in Northwood to seemingly get involved in the recent application for planning relating to the erection of 13 residential houses with associated parking on the area designated as the playing field on the plan of the school affixed to one of their buildings in Carew Road.
On page 56 of 'St Helen's, the first eighty years' we read 'next came Longworthe in 1935, bought, it is recorded for £7,000, with £327 spent on alterations.'
This building is now called Gwyer House after the principal of St Hugh's College, Oxford.
For the school to attempt to make money by building on the school playing fields would not be appreciated by those privileged to enrol in the school for years to come.
Maybe many thanks are due to the members of the planning committee of the London Borough of Hillingdon for kindly acting in the correct and proper way, regardless of policies or finance.
They served the borough well, and should be thanked; their wisdom will be noted in future years.