The mother of a tragic Bedfont girl who was poisoned by carbon monoxide in her new-build flat said she takes comfort from knowing thousands more lives may have been saved thanks to investigations prompted by her daughter's death.
Keen dancer Elouise Littlewood died on February 27, two months after moving into a shared-ownership flat in the Bedfont Lakes development.
The 26-year-old's home had been flooded with dead-ly carbon monoxide (CO) gas by a faulty boiler.
The tragedy prompted a wide-scale investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into properties with similar flue systems. Last month it revealed 1,200 homes were 'immediately dangerous' and a further 4,800 required work after being labelled 'at risk'.
Speaking to the Chronicle during Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, Elouise's mum Sally-Anne said: "To lose a child like this is incredibly painful. But it does bring us some comfort to know other lives have been saved.
"There had been concerns voiced about closed flue systems, which can't be easily inspected, but it wasn't until Elouise's death that something was done about it.
"It is awful that it takes a death to make things happen but at least some good has come of it."
In October, following a lengthy investigation, the HSE issued a safety alert to developers highlighting the potential poisoning risk caused by building gas flues into areas where they cannot be checked.
No one has so far been found responsible for the failings at Elouise's flat, which also left her 32-year-old flatmate, Simon Kilby, in a permanent nonresponsive state.
But a 50-year-old man, believed to be a CORGI-registered heating engineer, has been interviewed and bailed to return to a police station next month.
Mrs Littlewood, of Little Park Drive, Feltham, said: "Our lives are all on hold waiting to see if anyone will be found responsible for what happened to Elouise and Simon.
"Every day is a struggle since she died and I just hope that other families will hear our message and buy CO alarms to protect their own loved ones."
As part of the awareness week, the Health Protection Agency is reminding people to have their fossil fuel and wood-burning appliances checked by an appropriately-registered engineer.
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless gas, making it difficult to detect. Symptoms of CO poisoning include headaches, nausea, drowsiness, dizziness, and chest pains.
The safest way to protect your family is by buying an alarm.
For more information, visit www.hpa.or g.uk/carbon monoxide