Guess what we've discovered? It was mostly posh people in Elizabethan times who thought tomatoes were poisonous.
It's likely this was because they ate off plates with a high lead content, which the acid of foodstuffs like tomatoes then dissolved.
So the lords and ladies were taking in a poison of their own making to get the 16th century version of Dodgy Kebab Syndrome.
Meanwhile, poor people ate off safe wooden plates and were more than happy to tuck into tomatoes. And no, you don't need a timber plate – crockery today is not full of lead.