A Hounslow mum denied an inquest by the Government into the death of her son at the hands of police marksmen could take her case to the European Court of Human Rights.
Susan Alexander has been fighting for a change to the law since her son, Azelle Rodney, was shot seven times at point blank range in Edgware.
Following his tragic death, in April 2005, a coroner said an inquest for the 24-year-old was impossible because of sensitive police evidence.
Mrs Alexander, 48, responded by launching a legal action against the Home Secretary to change the law.
But the proposed changes, included in the Counter-Terrorism Bill, were thrown out by Parliament last month.
And last Monday the House of Lords, which had agreed to the amendment earlier this month with a margin of just three votes, reversed its decision.
Mrs Alexander's lawyer, Daniel Machover is now claiming there has been 'a clear violation of human rights' under Article 2 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
“It has been laid down by precedent that the Government must deliver a ‘prompt investigation’ into deaths at the hands of state agents, such as in police shootings, but they have not done so here," he told the Edgware and Mill Hill Times.
The European court has no power to force the British Government to act, he added, but it can embarrass it into taking action by declaring there has been a human rights violation.