A 31-year-old detainee at Colnbrook Immigration Removal Centre in Harmondsworth has pleaded guilty to manslaughter after the death of an inmate.

Kurdish-speaking Iraqi national Zana Assad Yusif, admitted to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility at the Old Bailey today over his role in the death of 64-year-old Tarek Chowdhury on December 1 2016.

The Bangladeshi victim was found beaten in a cell in the induction wing of the detention centre for failed asylum seekers and detained foreign criminals, near Heathrow .

Yusif had previously entered a not-guilty plea for the charge of murder.

Mr Chowdhury entered a cell occupied by two other detainees. A few minutes later they described Yusif walking into the same cell, with no trousers on.

Witnesses told police that Yusif walked into the cell and asked for a lighter before shaking Mr Chowdhury and punching him repeatedly in the head.

Zian Assad Yusif was staying at the Colnbrook Immigration Immigration Removal Centre

One of the occupants left the cell, followed by Yusif, who went into another cell and closed the door. His knuckles and hands were reddened and injured.

The remaining detainee looked panicked and raised the alarm with staff.

Ministry of Justice proposes new rules to speed up immigration appeals process

Police were called to the centre at 9.15am by officers who discovered the victim on the bottom bunk in the cell. He was taken to a west London hospital and later a central London hospital where he died at 9.24pm the same day.

Yusif was arrested the following day on suspicion of murder. He will be sentenced at the same court on Wednesday June 21.

Detective Inspector James Stevenson, the investigating officer from the Met's Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: "This was a vicious unprovoked attack on Mr Chowdhury that ultimately cost him his life. I am pleased that Yusif has finally taken responsibility for his actions."

The immigration detention centre at Colnbrook is adjacent to Heathrow Airport and has capacity for up to 396 men and 27 women.

The centre is operated by Mitie Care and Custody, who won the contract to run the centre in 2014 after Serco ran it from its opening in 2004.

Keep up to date with the latest news in west London via the free getwestlondon app.

You can set up your app to see all the latest news and events from your area, plus receive push notifications for breaking news.

Available to download from the App Store or Google Play for Android .