The sun has been shining recently and for many the good weather means an opportunity to hold a barbecue.
But firefighters in Brent say they experience a sharp increase in the number of calls to outdoor cooking sessions which have got out of control.
Now fire crews will be meeting shoppers outside Asda in Forty Lane,Wembley, and Greenhouse Garden Centre, Birchen Grove, Kingsbury,on weekends throughout the summer to explain the best way to have a safe barbecue.
Stuart Grout, Wembley Fire Station watch manager,said: "Using petrol to light your barbecue or leaving it unattended are two of the most common mistakes people make. Unfortunately, fires caused by barbecue get out of control and lead to potentially serious damage to property."
The fire safety message spread by crews will also include advice on gas cylinders, which Brent Fire Brigade also consider to be a problem area.
Sean Bennett, Brent's borough commander,said: "Fires involving gas cylinders can cause a massive amount of disruption not to mention how dangerous they can be when exposed to heat.
"If everyone ensures gas cylinders are used, stored and disposed of in an appropriate manner,the majority of these incidents would be avoided." [
For information about a free home fire safety check, call 08000 284428.