A section of Wembley Stadium was closed off on Monday after a "massive bang" startled workers at the multi-million pound complex.
The deafening noise sparked a major safety scare as the stadium moved, showering the floor with pieces of concrete.
Part of the £827m ground close to the Royal Box was cordoned off after the bang, which was mistaken by some Wembley staff as a bomb.
One employee said: "I heard a massive bang at around 11.45am.
"At first I thought it was an explosion. Shortly after, our bosses sent an email saying that a major incident had occurred and an investigation had been launched."
Some national newspapers claimed a four-floor high crack had appeared in the stadium after it was battered by the ferocious weather, but Wembley officials later denied it saying the noise was caused by a 'movement joint.'
"There was some minor movement in the building on Monday morning," said a spokeswoman for Wembley Stadium.
"Our engineers have reviewed the situation and reports indicate that this has been caused by natural settling.
"As with all large structures the stadium has been designed with movement tolerance factored in. It's business as usual and the stadium remains fully operational."
No one was injured in the incident.