The father of Bedfont woman Elouise Littlewood who was poisoned by carbon monoxide has accused the Government of breaking promises to raise awareness of the silent killer.
Alan Littlewood's 26-year-old daughter Elouise died in February last year, two months after moving into a flat in the new Bedfont Lakes development.
He has spent the last year campaigning alongside Elouise's mum Sally-Anne to ensure more people know about the dangers of faulty boilers.
But he claims ministers have yet to act on recommendations from the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) eight years ago that gas giants should pay a portion of their profits to fund research into, and raise awareness of, carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
"The whole issue is that we need to make the general public aware that CO exists and how dangerous it is and what symptoms to look out for," said Mr Littlewood. "In January 2000 the HSE recommended that utility companies pay a levy from their huge profits to finance an awareness campaign and fund research into CO poisoning and this has not been done.
"Since the death of Elouise we have met other parents who have lost children to CO poisoning and the one constant thing that we have found is that none of them knew the dangers - and that, in our view, is wrong.
"The charity CO Gas Awareness has campaigned about the dangers for about 15 years but people still die from something that is easily preventable.
"Firstly, people must be made aware of how important it is to service their appliances and, secondly, they must get an audio CO detector which could save their lives."
Mr Littlewood put education secretary Ed Balls on the spot at the launch of a charity school poster competition, which he attended with his wife last month, but the MP was unable to explain why the HSE's recommendations had yet to be taken up.
A report released last week by the All Party Parliamentary Gas Safety Group (APPGSG) said GPs need better training to diagnose the symptoms of CO poisoning, which is too often mistaken for a cold or flu.
Mr Littlewood said this was particularly important because the advice to people with flu is to stay in and turn up the heating - the worst thing anyone with a faulty boiler can do.
An HSE spokeswoman said the document Mr Littlewood referred to formed part of a wider review of gas safety and the suggestion of raising a levy was just one of the options considered.
"This recommendation has since been overtaken by subsequent developments, including the setting up of the Carbon Monoxide Consumer Awareness Alliance (COCAA)," she added.
"COCAA was set up in response to the report in 2006 of the APPGSG inquiry which recommended the establishment of a single co-ordinating body to work across all of the fuel types to co-ordinate campaigning on Carbon Monoxide.
"The Alliance consists of all the major energy retailers, representatives across all fuel types, victim support charities and representation for manufacturers of carbon monoxide alarms.
"As a result of these developments HSE has moved away from the recommendation for an industry levy and now undertakes a broad range of campaign and safety promotion work across the UK," she added.
No one has so far been found responsible for the failings at Elouise's home, which also left her 32-year-old flatmate, Simon Kilby, in a coma.
You can sign Mr Littlewood's petition to make it the law for CO alarms to be fitted in all new homes by visiting: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/COAlarms