A PAVING stone outside Ealing Town Hall commemorating the restoration of the building and the Queen's diamond jubilee has finally been installed following months of wrangling over the wording.
The stone was unveiled by Lord Lieutenant of Greater London Sir David Brewer on Monday.
The council first applied for the memorial in May 2012 but were rejected in June the same year by the Cabinet office who said the Queen's name could not be used as the Town hall was not important enough.
Ealing and Acton MP Angie Bray, who described the refusal as 'bureaucracy gone mad' wrote a letter asking the Cabinet office to change it's mind but it refused to budge.
It eventually relented at the end of July after saying the stone could be technically classed as a souvenir to enable the queen's name to be used.
Ms Bray said: “It was ridiculous and the way they got round it was rather Machiavellian. All we were trying to do was match the stone in Ealing Town Hall marking Queen Victoria’s diamond jubilee.
“I’m absolutely delighted that after an unnecessary battle that went on for far too long Ealing got it’s way.”
The £800,000 restoration of the grade II listed building last year was carried out after falling masonry caused safety fears and some important architectural features had started to deteriorate. The last major repairs were in 1989.
The work is on the shortlist for the London region Building Conservation 2013 Award from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
The paving stone was unveiled by Sir David during a short ceremony attended by deputy lieutenant Robert Leader, Ealing mayor Mohammad Aslam, council leader Julian Bell, council chief executive Martin Smith, Ms Bray, Ealing North MP Steve Pound and others.
Mr Bell said: “Ealing town hall is one of our most iconic buildings and I’m immensely proud to see the sensitive and skilled restoration dedicated to Her Majesty The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
“Even in tough economic times, the council has a duty to preserve its history for generations to come and I am delighted that it is once again safe for local people to enjoy.”