AN AFRO-CARIBBEAN café was shut down after council officers discovered an infestation of cockroaches in its kitchen.
A number of the disease-carrying insects were found at Oheneba Foods in Craven Park Road, Harlesden, and its general standard of cleanliness was slammed by the local authority's environ-mental department.
Grease, dirt and food debris were found under and around cooking equipment, and there was no hot water or air conditioning. Ready-to-eat foods were not refrigerated and staff were given no hygiene training.
David Thrale, Brent Council's environ-mental health service director, said: "Nobody wants to eat food from a place with a cockroach infestation and such a bad standard of cleanliness. It is hard to believe any café thinks it is acceptable to operate without any hot water."
The café, which gets zero stars in Brent Council's Scores on the Doors ratings, will remain closed until there is no longer a health risk from cockroaches. Brent magistrates also made the business pay £1,700 in court costs to the council.