Builders who heard an explosion during a house fire in Stanmore this (Thursday) lunchtime put out the blaze with an extinguisher.
The fire broke out at 11.45am in a ground-floor bedroom of detached property in Embry Way. No-one was at home at the time.
Construction workers employed at a neighbouring home were alerted to the blaze when a front window was partially blown out by an exploding aerosol can. The builders tackled the blaze themselves.
A fire brigade source from Stanmore Fire Station said the house was smoke-logged throughout and the bedroom itself had been partially damaged by flames. He said a pair of electric hair straighteners had sparked the fire.
Firefighters spent 90 minutes at the scene ventilating the home and fitting smoke alarms to it and neighbouring properties.