A BRENTFORD family had a lucky escape after a Christmas candle started a fire which gutted the first floor of their home.
Firefighters are encouraging people to give smoke alarms as Christmas presents after three adults and one child fled from the blazing property in Lionel Road North, Brentford, at 11.44pm on Monday (5).
Four fire engines and around 20 firefighters were called after the unattended candle fell onto some Christmas decorations in a bedroom.
Crews from Acton, Ealing and Chiswick fire stations spent more than an hour and a half tackling the blaze.
Rob Edwards, watch manager of Acton Fire Station said: “There was no working smoke alarm in the house and the people inside were only alerted to the fire because someone was still awake downstairs.
“It’s vitally important to have a working smoke alarm. If a friend or family member doesn't have one, buy them an alarm for Christmas, it could be the most important present you ever give.”
The family may be forced to find somewhere else to stay over Christmas as the house is currently uninhabitable.
Figures from last December show, one fire a day in London was caused by candles and firefighters are urging people to take extra care when putting up their Christmas decorations.
Fire chiefs have warned candles should never be left unattended, nor placed next to anything they could set alight to.