Boris Johnson has said he is confident a new permanent site for Fulham Boys School can be found after Michael Gove pulled the plug on it last week.
The Mayor of London spoke with the education secretary on Friday (July 4) and said he is helping him to find a new site for the free school.
The 84 boys and many teachers set to start at Fulham Boys School (FBS) on September 8 were told last Monday it would not be opening then because a permanent site could not be found so the Education Funding Agency could not grant them the funds earmarked for the school.
In a bid to save the school Mr Johnson is now working hard to find a new site.
He has power to free up GLA land and buildings and even helped 10 new schools find sites at the end of June.
A spokesman for Mr Johnson said: “The Mayor rang the Education Secretary on Friday. They discussed the importance of working alongside the Education Funding Agency to help identify prospective alternative sites as quickly as possible.
"Given the pressure on school places in London he shares the obvious and understandable concerns of parents and pupils at the Fulham Boys School. The work of identifying potential sites is underway and the Mayor is hopeful a solution can be found.”
FBS was due to open on a temporary site in Gibbs Green, West Kensington where it would stay for two years.
The previous Hammersmith and Fulham Conservative council was hoping it would then move onto the Sulivan Primary School site in Parsons Green . Sulivan would then move up the road to merge with New King's School.
When Labour won the local elections in May their first pledge was to save Sulivan School from closure and Mr Gove has blamed them for forcing him to make the decision to prevent FBS opening .
Mr Gove said: "Luckily we have, in the Mayor of London, a Conservative mayor who's backed free schools, who when other local authorities have been difficult in the past has liberated sites. I'm determined that we will find a site for this marvellous group of people."
Funding for free schools is a decision made by the Government not the local authority and it is understood a few potential sites have already been earmarked by the Mayor and the education secretary.
Mr Gove and Mr Johnson are supposed to meeting this week to hopefully make a final decision which will benefit the boys who no longer have a school to go to in September.