A BUSY scene in the market in North End Road, c. 1904.
The market, which runs between Lillie Road and Walham Grove, is thought to have spread north up the North End Road in the 1880s, when costers migrated there from the western end of King's Road. It was well-known for its fruit and vegetable stall and lively characters, and attracted visitors from all over London. Over the years there have been a number of unsuccessful plans to move the market because of traffic congestion.
From Hammersmith & Fulham: The Twentieth Century by Christine Bayliss and Jane Kimber ISBN 0-7509-2040-8